Sunday, May 2, 2010

Human Anatomy for Preschoolers

As I've mentioned I'm a biology major so I love sharing the world with my daughters.  And when they wanted a new coloring project I'd recently found a picture of the human body with the major organs labeled.  It seemed a perfect opportunity to introduce some new ideas to my daughters.

Since my younger daughter is not yet two I didn't really expect her to get much out of the dialog, though she did have fun scribbling all over her picture with a variety of different colors.  But my older daughter wanted to talk about the picture.  First she wanted to know how come we could see the person's insides.  Then I told her the names of the organs along with a few basics - like the fact that the heart pumps blood and the lungs bring in oxygen.  But mostly my little girl wanted to know what color each organ was so that she could color it accurately.  And she wanted to see pictures of what they looked like.

In a few days I think I'll revisit the lesson - cement what she learned.  Even if it is only that the heart pumps blood and the lungs breath in oxygen that's a very good start for a soon to be four year old.  If she continues to enjoy the discussion next time we might pursue it more in the near future.

No comments: