Thursday, September 2, 2010

Exercising Vocabulary Skills

My younger daughter is picking up vocabulary at a much faster rate than my older daughter.  Plus she seems to learn words in a different way.  My older daughter picked up single words - and she liked to abbreviate those words.  In fact, we still call the remote control the "mote" because that was how she referred to it.  However, my younger daughter seems to pick up words in phrases.  Moreover, she will not abbreviate but will, in fact, use the entire word even when Mommy does not.

This tendency lead to a moment of humor when several days ago we were talking about Winnie the Pooh.  I asked her if she would like to play with her Pooh Bear.  Knowing that I was abbreviating, she smiled at the bear and proclaimed, "Shampoo!"

I know that when your children are young it is important to repeat what they say expanding and correcting as necessary.  However, she was simply so cute I couldn't bring myself to correct her.  So Winnie the Pooh has been christened "Shampoo."  I try to correct her language most of the time but calling a bear Shampoo will not hurt her in any grammar classes I know so we will continue to let that error slide.

No comments: