Friday, September 4, 2009

"Is Your Mama a Llama" a Must Read for Preschoolers

My daughters and I have been reading through our local library's list of 100 books every child should hear before kindergarten. The week before last we were reading Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino and I'm considering checking it out from the library again.

The book walks you through a variety of animals giving brief descriptions of each all without your child realizing they are being taught. The rhymes make the story fun and lyrical as well as making the words easier to remember. And my daughter loved shouting out the name of each new animal.

The pictures by Steven Kellogg were full of hidden details, like a turtle mama and her babies, while maintaining the correct lack of detail to keep the animals sweetly child-like. When I pointed out the "hidden" animals my daughter delighted in searching the pages for them and pointing the animals out to me.

This is a delightful book and would pair nicely with a discussion about types and varieties of animals. I covers a variety of animals that are not typically covered in a child's first introduction to animals.

No comments: