Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reading Mouse Paint a story by Ellen Stoll Walsh

Because my daughters are both so young we have mainly been focusing on reading together. Because there are so very many children's books to choose from I thought I'd start with the library's reading list. I also add books as they attract my daughters' attention.

The past couple of weeks we've been reading Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh. The story introduces the idea of mixing colors to create new colors. The mice mix red and yellow to create orange, yellow and blue to create green and blue and red to create purple.

Each color is created twice so that the idea will stick better in the mind of your toddler. The first time the mice mix the colors they use their feet (an idea which my daughter very much enjoyed). The second time the mice use brushes to mix the paint.

The story is simple without being repetitive. The pictures are also simple and easy to follow. I agree with the library that this is a book your little one should hear before kindergarten.

No comments: